Saturday, March 21, 2015

Save the Date: For the Love of Fashion

Goodwill Industries of Akron recently opened a boutique in downtown Kent called Blue, and to celebrate, there will be a grand opening event on Saturday, April 11th from 2-4P!  Of course there will be fashion show, and I am participating, along with some other local bloggers:

Lauren Ward: www.notobotique.com
Lisa Davala & Collyn Floyd : www.twoamusedbouches.com
Rachel Breece: www.forthebirdsblog.net
Danie Minor: www.definingdanie.com


#Spoiler Alert: For the fashion show, we were all given a theme to style an outfit around, mine was "Formal".  If you read my blog often enough, you probably know that I love recapping the red carpet events during award's season - here, here, here and here (are a few).  Unfortunately, I don't get many occasions to dress up for a red carpet (try zero), and when I think of a formal event, I automatically think to these fashions on the red carpet.  My mind also goes to business formal and tuxedos (which I guess the guys wear on the red carpet too).  I obviously thought about Carrie Bradshaw and all of my favorite fashionable celebrities:  Mary-Kate and Ashley, Nicole Richie, Carey Mulligan, Leandra Medine, etc.

For me though, I need an occasion to get dressed up, mostly because I live in a small town, but also because it's a lot of work to get all dolled up.  The time of year has a lot to do with what someone would wear for a formal occasion.  It's spring-time and prom is coming up for our younger readers, so hopefully, the following will be inspiration for some alternative looks for formal occasions.

Left: Balmain via Vogue; Right: Emma Watson via Who What Wear

Left: T Swift via Who What Wear; Right: Rosie Assoulin via Man Repeller

Left: Via Refinery29; Right: Viva Luxury

Left: Chanel via Telegraph.co.uk; Right: Dree Hemingway via Who What Wear

Left: SJP via Celeb Buzz; Right: Christopher Kane via Vogue

Left: LFW Street Style via Sharpen Style; Right YSL via Harpers Bazaar

Since I'm too old to go to prom again (thank god), I had a really difficult time with styling this outfit and getting inspired for "a formal occasion". In the beginning of brainstorming for this outfit, I really wanted to style a suit, or incorporate a fancy skirt into my look somehow.  But I also wanted my look to be tough, fun and unexpected; I think the final product accomplishes all of that.

In the end though, whenever I thrift shop, as much as I want to go in with a specific look in mind, I always try to be open to anything.  There might be a piece that immediately catches my eye when I walk in, and if I were to disregard it because it doesn't fit my intended look, I would miss out on a lot of great things.  I usually just try to be inspired by whatever inventory is available and work from there.  If you are looking for something too specific, you almost always will be disappointed.  Thrift shopping to me is about the possibility of finding buried treasure. 

Thankfully, there were a lot of great pieces at Blue, and I was able to put together a stylish, affordable look for my imaginary formal event - well, I guess not imaginary, I would totally wear what I picked out to a grand opening, like the grand opening at Blue....

Anyway, be sure to stop by on the day of the event for all of the festivities, including: prizes, style demos, style contest, refreshments and much more!  Dina will also be sharing her new spring collection at her pop-up space!

Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment