Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Year // New Projects

I'd like to take this time to personally apologize to everyone for copping out on a proper 2014 round-up post or a "Welcome to 2015" post*.  Hopefully by now, though, you're all caught up with all of your other favorite bloggers and are tired of reading about new year's resolutions and all of the great outfits and events from 2014.  I may still put something together (because 2014 was a really great year), but in the meantime, I wanted to announce an exciting new partnership I have in the works for 2015:  More DIY Workshops with Goodwill Industries of Akron

As you may remember, last year, I was asked to host an Ugly Holiday Sweater DIY Workshop at the Goodwill on Waterloo Road.  (You can read about the event here.)  Well, this year, I've been asked to host some more workshops!  

For our first workshop, we will be working to create unique fabric hoops with found fabric, as well as bringing new life to an old table and chair with a one-of-a-kind collage!  Goodwill is celebrating the relocation of their outlet store to Arlington Road on Saturday (1/17) from 11 AM to 1 PM, and I'll be there to help inspire creativity, as well as help anyone who may need some guidance with our projects.

To prepare for this event, I made a few hoops of my own (I had to make sure it was really as easy as it seemed).  Good news, it was!  Check out the photos below or read my (rather rambling) instructions over on the Goodwill Blog!

Supplies: Embroidery Hoops, Concert Tees (or any fabric), Hot
Glue Gun, Pen and other accoutrement. 







As for adding collage to a piece of furniture, I admittedly had not done that since college.  As a mild hoarder, I always would dissect magazines, saving the different pictures for different projects.  I never really had a plan for these items, but one day, I decided I wanted to add a little flair to a boring shelf I had bought at Walmart.  What better way to decorate any piece of furniture than with my very own Mary-Kate and Ashley collage!

Simply sand down the piece of furniture you want to decorate, glue your photos or fabric to the furniture, and seal with Mod Podge®.  If you are feeling daring or have an absorbent amount of Starburst® wrappers laying around, make sure to collage one of the shelves with all of those!




This shelf now acts as one half of a desk I put together with another shelf and a bit of spare plywood, but you get the idea!

Be sure to stop by the Goodwill Outlet at 1400 S. Arlington Street, Suite 150 (Arlington Plaza), (Akron, Ohio 44306) on Saturday (this Saturday!) from 11 AM to 1PM and make your own fabric hoop or help contribute to our collage project!  And if you can't make it this Saturday, stay tuned for future workshops!

*Although, if you really want to read some past recaps, check these out201120122013.

No comments:

Post a Comment