Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mom Jeans








Peacoat: UO Surplus, Denim Button-Down: Wet Seal, Mom Jeans: Goodwill, Sweater: Thrifted in Angers, Belt: Payless, Boots: Doc Marten (c/o
Clothing Swap 2013), Necklace: Francesca's Collections, Sunglasses: Rave

So "Mom Jeans" are back - like officially, I may have actually read those words online - "Mom Jeans are IN".  To me they've been back since 2010 when I bought a pair of high-waisted grey skinny jeans at Forever21 as a joke, and wore them to death (what a hipster).  This pair I got at the Goodwill a few weeks ago on a whim when I was buying items for Dina's Reader Thrift Challenge (I bought the goods, but never got a chance to photograph my submission - #lazygirlproblems).  Generally, I love them, but they are real denim, none of that poly mix garbage, so a bit stiff - but they are Ralph Lauren!  

This sweater is by far one of my most prized thrifted possessions.  I got it at this charity shop that one of the English girls (Emily P) found in Angers (best spot in that town - minus the Hotel Bar du Centre, and some others).  Unfortunately, we didn't get any good shots of the amazing patch that is on the pocket, or the amazing gold buttons.  But it's warm as eff and amazing (I remember this day being randomly cold).

Why am I rambling on about random thrifted items in my closet?  Mostly as a reminder that I will be participating in this event on May 10th, but also to mention that I will be modeling in the Goodwill Good Style Fashion Show on May 8th!  Some local bloggers were given some monies by the Goodwill of Greater Cleveland and East Central Ohio and tasked with curating a whole collection of looks!  I've been reading about this event since I started blogging, and I'm SO excited to finally be a part of it (not as the brains of the operation this year)!  

I'm sure I've talked to my love/hate relationship with the Goodwill before on this blog.  It's mostly a loving relationship, but it wasn't always that way.  Believe it or not, there was a time in my life when I wasn't wise to the mysterious, amazing ways of the Goodwill.  All that changed my senior year of high school, when we moved to Jupiter, FL.  Goodwills in rich parts of town (Jupiter, Palm Beach, etc) always have the best stuff.  It's not all about finding discarded designer duds, but having an open mind - an old sheet could become a wrap dress, a Men's nightshirt could become an oversized blouse, an awkward-length black lace dress could become your Prom dress.  There was a time in my life (in high school) when all I wanted was to fit in, but then we moved, and there were a million kids wearing the same thing, so who cares if I wore what I wanted?  Prom was an occasion to find something one-of-a-kind, not run-of-the-mill.  And that's how I fell in love with the Goodwill (not to mention, you can ALWAYS find an amazing ugly Christmas sweater or Halloween costume).

This post is starting to sound a bit too after-school special (y), so I'll end with this: next time you need some fashion inspiration, stop by your neighborhood Goodwill or Salvation Army - you may be surprised at what you find!

No comments:

Post a Comment