Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Goodwill Blogger Style Challenge

As many of you know, last week was Goodwill week in Akron (and Cleveland).  There were some thrift shopping courses, a fashion show and a blogger style challenge.  I was lucky enough to get to model in the fashion show (read more about it here), as well as participate in the Blogger Style Challenge.

Saturday morning, Adam and I got up early (mostly to start the day off with a delicious breakfast at Akron Family Restaurant) and headed to the Goodwill on Waterloo Rd for Dina's Goodwill Blogger Style Challenge.  I was incredibly nervous, but knew that once I was in my element (digging through racks of clothes), all would be right with the world.

Since we arrived early, we were able to scope out the merchandise beforehand:

One thing I learned from last week - buy merch off season at the Goodwill.



Adam was trying to help, but just kept picking out items for himself.








My game plan was simple, look for the 50% Off Color of the Day tags.  Amazingly enough, I found nothing with a green tag.  Plan B: Shoes.



After I picked my shoes, the penny loafers shown above, I had no idea where to go next.  This Goodwill was massive.  I had scoped out a green blazer earlier in the day, but it was too small.  So I headed to the dresses.


We only had $20, so I thought a dress would be a good place to start.  There was an amazing collection of denim dresses and overalls, but I didn't have enough time to make cut-offs.  Luckily, one of the women working the event asked if she could snap my picture "in action" by a rack of blouses.  I spotted an amazing bright coral blouse, and then some tropical print shorts.  All I needed was a sweater, and I was good to go - 15 minutes ahead of schedule (we had 30 minutes total to put together an outfit).


Thankfully, all of my items fit, and I headed to the registers - $15 and some change (including the pennies we grabbed from the car for my loafers).  I finished so early in fact, that Adam and I had some time to snap some outfit photos outside.

All Items Thrifted (minus my rings).






I LOVED the way the bright coral showed through the knit on this sweater.

Once everyone had finished putting together and paying for their outfits, we had a small fashion show, where the audience voted on their favorite looks.


Of course I had to ham it up a bit.




So glad someone was able to use this amazing green blazer!


The print on Rachel's cityscape dress was amazing.

Not pictured: Amy found the most amazing Red Fringe Skirt (Read about it here!)

I didn't win a prize (a $20 Goodwill Gift Card), but Rachel did (and Fashion Indiana Jones and Cyndi with her glam look - red dress), so I count that as a win.  Everyone did such a great job and seemed to have so much fun with the event!  This event definitely re-energized me to participate more with Dina's other thrift challenges - this month's features a bright pink skirt (I just need to make the time)!

We were also featured in the Akron Beacon Journal on Saturday!  If you didn't catch the article IRL, read it here!

Thanks again to Dina for thinking of me to participate and the Goodwill Industries of Akron for sponsoring such a fun (and educational) (week and) event!

No comments:

Post a Comment