Thursday, December 1, 2016

My Heart Beats 4 U

Last night, Adam and I had the pleasure of seeing Rooney at the Grog Shop. 

With the new line-up, I was worried everything would be different, and it was, but the music was still great with that classic Rooney sound.

The new line-up got me thinking about life and how everything changes: people grow older (and apart) and every day is a new opportunity. So I thought I would share some photos from the last few times I've seen Rooney over my life. Talk about a #TBT.

2007: TalleyRand (Jacksonville, FL)

I can't remember how we found out about it, but in 2007, there was a one-day arts and music festival that took place in Jacksonville, FL called TalleyRand. A ton of my favorite bands were playing: Rooney, The Bravery, Against Me, Spoon, etc. So I convinced a few of my friends from FSU that we should go, and we went. And it was one of the greatest music festival experiences of my life.














For as long as I've listened to Rooney's music, I've always loved Matt Winter (sorry Adam). I have no idea why. Actually, that's a lie. In high school, our group decided which band-mate we each had a crush on, and I ended up with Matt (girls are so weird). Anyway, you can imagine how excited I was to run into him at the festival after their set and get to chat with him (plus get this fab photo).

2009: Beachland Ballroom (Cleveland, OH)

After moving home from college, I was a little lost. So something as simple as seeing one of my favorite bands (on a work night) made all the difference. Sadly, I couldn't convince anyone to go with me, but part of growing up is realizing how happy you can be doing things on your own. This concert wasn't my favorite Rooney experience (sadly I wasn't up to date on their newer music), but I did get to see another favorite, Tally Hall, so the night wasn't a total bust.










2016: The Grog Shop (Cleveland, OH)

A little bit ago, the Grog Shop posted that Rooney was coming. I didn't think much of it, since I was still salty about the new line-up, but then they ran a 2 for 1 sale on tickets, so I pretty much didn't have any excuse not to go. I've mentioned this before, but Adam is really great about checking out new music and going to shows with me, so we headed up to the Grog Shop, not really sure what to expect. 

Well, we were glad we went. The new album is really great, and the new line-up actually puts on a really great show. Lots of enthusiasm and humility (something you can never be sure you'll get from rock stars - the humility part).

I've since upgraded my camera so don't feel comfortable taking it to concerts with unpredictable youth, so I only have the below cell phone photo to share from this most recent Rooney experience (there may still be some video up on Instagram Stories and Snapchat - @bottesdeleanor).


With all of the life changes I've gone through as a 20-something, I totally could relate to Robert S when he shared this about changing the line-up of the band (source):

"I met all the guys who played with Rooney for so many years in high school, and it was sort of like a high school relationship where you marry your high school sweetheart kind of thing, right out of school. And I think as you grow up, you realize, like, 'Who am I? What do I want?', and you start to connect with new people. And I started to meet all these other musicians that I had collaborated with, and it was over that hiatus that I kind of came back around to recording music that just felt like Rooney, kind of returning to this Rooney sound. I think everyone in the band for so long has been pursuing so many other things, that I think naturally it was time to make a change and shift to bring in new people."

Which all made me less upset about the line-up change. Because how can you be upset with someone who is just experiencing life the same as you; growing and evolving their art? You can't is how.

Do you all have a favorite music group or something from your youth that takes you all back?

No comments:

Post a Comment